Thursday, November 12, 2009

Is God speaking today?

I am a religious person because of a spiritual experience I had in response to a prayer. I have spiritual experiences fairly often, actually.

I am not alone. The PEW forum on religion and public life reports in their June 2008 Religious Landscape Survey that 49% of the United States adult population receive definite answers to specific prayer requests at least several times a year. 34% have experienced or witnessed a divine healing, 52% experience a sense of spiritual peace or well-being at least once a week, and 79% believe that miracles still occur today.

This information directly counters the argument that God is silent, doesn't exist, or is dead. Jesus Christ said that God will teach us through the Comforter, which will give us a sense of peace:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:26-27)

Considering that over half of the adults in the United States feel a sense of spiritual peace or well-being at least once a week, I would argue that God is actively trying to communicate with us. The question is whether or not we are listening or recognizing what God is trying to say.

Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment