Thursday, October 8, 2009

Latter-day Saint Stereotypes

In the spirit of opening up the blog to counter misperceptions and stereotypes, I would like to counter a couple of stereotypes I heard about my religion (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) the other day on NPR.

Talking about the conservative commentator Glenn Beck, one caller mentioned that he (Glenn Beck) is Mormon and, since African Americans could not hold the priesthood in the Mormon Church until 1978, is racist.

This caller presented two stereotypes I often confront as a Latter-day Saint: That we are ultra-conservative and that we are racists.

The ultra-conservative stereotype is false. While prominent political conservatives like Glenn Beck and Mitt Romney are Latter-day Saints, so are prominent Democrats. For example Harry Reid, the Democratic Senate Majority leader, is also a Latter-day Saint. There are also both Democrats and Republicans among the leadership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The racist stereotype is also false. While there are racists in any church, the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is clearly not rascist. The Book of Mormon says: "...he [Christ] invited all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile." (2 Nephi 26:33)

Regarding the problem of racism, Gordon B Hinckley, a former prophet of the Church said, "Now I am told that racial slurs and denigrating remarks are sometimes heard among us. I remind you that no man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church of Christ." (The Need for Greater Kindness, Liahona Magazine, May 2006)

I hope this post can help clear up some of the misperceptions that are out there. If you have questions leave a comment and I will try my best to answer it. If you would prefer to contact me privately, you can e-mail me at dawacu@umich.edu or call me at (801)309-3892

No comments:

Post a Comment